Thursday, June 23, 2022

OLD OVERALLS

 I have this wonderful old pair of overalls…with years of stains from head to toe…

I bought them the first year we came together to the mountains….34 years ago.


I wore these overalls when our children were young…because I wanted them to see

how working around the cabin was important…and…because they looked good on me.


I wanted them to understand…hoping the overalls would help them see…

how the cabin, our home for two weeks every year, still needed some TLC.


I wore them to work in the yard or the garden…with Deborahs father by my side…

we wore our overalls and worked together…until the day he died.


And I’ve kept wearing these overalls…even though at times working alone is sad…

to keep our cabin looking good …and as a tribute to Deborah’s dad.


Each year I put them on again…and smile at the memories…

then go to work around the cabin knowing he is watching me.


I’ve tried to respect his vision for the cabin…I think about that with my every move

and even though he’s no longer here…I like to think he would approve.


My grandchildren have seen me in these overalls…and as my oldest grandson grew…

there came a day when I was happy he he asked, “PopPop…can I wear them too?”


These overalls have seen their fair share of sweat and mud and rain

and no matter how many times we wash them…we can’t get out the satins.


But that’s fine with me because I love every grass stain on them…

even how the legs over the years have frayed

It’s all part of our shared history…and I wouldn’t have it any other way.


I put them on again this year and as usual said, “Hey, these still look good on me.”

and as I began to work around the cabin…

I’m pretty sure…

Deborah’s father would agree.


No comments:

Post a Comment