Friday, June 24, 2022

A BLIND MAN AT MONET

 We visited the Monet and Friends exhibit at the Biltmore Estate….

It’s a melding of technology, art and sound

The music is a backdrop…while the art is projected all around.


Immersed in the music and the art you can’t help but me mesmerized

It is a celebration for the ears…and a festival for the eyes.


As my eyes tried to keep up with the ever-changing art projections…I became aware

on a bench across the room…and an old man with a cane who was sitting there.


His eyes were closed which piqued my interest…and he swayed a little as he reclined…

He was listening more than watching which made me think…this man is blind.


You don’t come to an art exhibit, I thought to myself, if you do not have your sight…

So I eased on over and sat next to him…to see if I was right.


“I suppose you’re wondering what I’m doing here.” he said. “For you may have guessed that I am blind.”  “I have to be honest.” I replied. “The thought has crossed my mind.”


“I haven’t always been blind.” He said. “Over the years my eyesight slowly faded away.”

“Before it did I loved looking at all kinds of art…my favorite was Monet.”


“When my daughter heard of this exhibit…this Monet & his Friends show…

She asked already knowing the answer…If I would like to go.


“But how are you enjoying this?” I asked. “Surround by paintings you can’t see?”

The old man smiled, let out a sigh then patted me on the knee.


“It’s true my eyes no longer see the paintings…that is a consequence of being blind

but because I remember what they look like…I still see them in my mind.”


Because my ability to see them has long ago faded from my view…

my mind now does the seeing…my eyes refuse to do.”


As I listen to the music…I enter the room in my mind where all my Monet’s are stored

and across the darkness of that room…his colors begin to soar.


And once again I experience his paintings…they’re right here in front of me…

and for a moment, a wonderful moment, I feel like I can see.


We sat together in silence for a while…I even closed my eyes…hoping I could find

a way to experience the beauty of Monet…through the eyes of one who’s blind.


I thanked his as I left him sitting there smiling…no longer wondering what he was doing…Wondering instead which one of Monet ’s paintings he happened to be viewing.


I knew seeing this exhibit would be wonderful…and I’d probably learn something along the way…but never did I expect to learn so much about how to see…from a blind man at Monet.

No comments:

Post a Comment