Thursday, May 13, 2021

PERSPECTIVE

 

Whenever I lose perspective…when I forget what’s important to me…

I have a simple solution… I remember Phil and Lee:


My Autistic students and I had a Meals on Wheels route…to me it was a union made in heaven…you take students who’s Autism isolated them…who from society seemed unplugged…and have them deliver meals to older…lonely people…who only want to socialize…who cannot wait to hug.


The Meals on Wheels people were a little worried…they had a few doubts and fears…so they paired us with Phil and Lee…an older couple who’d been delivering Meals for years.


Phil and Lee were in their 80’s…that my students had Autism…they didn’t care…and I felt blessed that their love, their wisdom and their kindness they were so willing with us to share.


It was supposed to be a temporary pairing…my class with Phil and Lee…but something happened that surprised everyone…The Meals on Wheels people…the school board…and me.


There was no doubt Phil and Lee liked my students…that was plain to see…and though in many cases it was subtle…I could tell my students liked Phil and Lee.


I can’t say my students looked forward to the hugs they received during each meal delivery…but I do know…by their smiles…they looked forward to Phil and Lee.


And so we quickly put to rest all those worries and doubts and fears…as Phil and Lee and my students delivered Meals together…for years.


After moving to a new school I kept in touch with Phil and Lee…one day I received a call…from Lee…one worried wife…cancer had taken one of Phil’s legs…it would eventually take his life.


I rushed to the hospital…smiled at Lee…then stood by Phil’s bedside…where the three of us laughed and smiled as we reminisced…and occasionally we cried.


When it was time for me to go…Lee stood up…and quickly wiped away her tears then leaned in to kiss the man she’d loved…for over 60 years.


But Phill could not raise up…and Lee was unsteady on her feet…so I gently pushed their heads together and allowed their lips to meet.


Lee put her arm through mine and as I walked her to her car…she said, "Jim sometimes we forget in life…just how fortunate we are”.


“Sometimes we worry about so many little things…Today I’m thankful you arrived…and I’m thankful that, for another day, my Phil is still alive”.


Now whenever I lose perspective…that feeling I quickly dismiss

as I touch the spot on my cheek…where Lee left me that day…with a kiss.


And I remember how lucky I am for the life I have…how lucky I am to be me…

and how lucky I was to have in my life…friends like Phil and Lee.






No comments:

Post a Comment