Saturday, March 19, 2022

SONGBIRD

 

It’s not always easy to stay joyful and optimistic in the midst of a pouring rain…to smile and stay hopeful when I see what’s happening to the people of Ukraine.


But then…on my walk this morning there was this bird…when the sky was painted black..who every other bird I imagine must think a maniac.


While all the other birds were sleeping…their heads nestled neath their wings…this bird woke up early and she began to sing.


I stopped to listen to her singing long before the sun’s first glow…

and I wondered…does she know the daylight’s coming?…

in the dark…how could she know?


Still…she filled the morning air with music and my darkened walk with grace…and though I could not see her I imagined a huge smile on her face.


It was the most beautiful aria I have ever heard…sung for my ears only by an unseen…hidden bird.


And I smiled as I listened to her singing in the day/night interlude…awed at her vitality, her determination…her strength, her fortitude.


It is my sincerest heartfelt hope that, from this moment on, 

whenever it is joy or optimism I lack…

I will remember this morning

and an unseen bird who sang to me

when the sky was painted black.



No comments:

Post a Comment