Saturday, March 26, 2022

LUCKY STARS

 

Deborah bought a unicorn horn that someone on the internet had made…it has no useful purpose…it just attaches to her KitchenAid.


“What does it do?” I asked with confusion written on my face.

“It doesn’t do anything.” She smiled. “It just adds a little more beauty to this space.”


I was thinking about our unicorn mixer on my walk this morning…the world around me seemed so calm when I remembered a game I use to play…counting lucky stars…with my mom.


I’d point to a star and I’d smile (that’s what anyone playing this game does) then with my finger still on the star I’d say, “I feel lucky because…”


What followed could be something simple…like pizza, baseball or hot fudge on chocolate ice cream…or it could be a little more meaningful…like my family or the ability to dream.


And when my turn was over Mom’s eyes would search the sky near and far…then smile as she raised her finger and placed it upon a star.


She would say what made her feel lucky…it could be a certain flower…or a tree…it could be the love of her family…occasionally it was me!


Back and forth we’d play this game…it was a game I came to adore…because, as Mom always said, each time we play we have more things to feel lucky for.


So with my mom and Deborah’s unicorn mixer on my mind this morning…I put my finger on a star (because that’s what anyone who plays this game does) and with my finger still upon the star I said, ‘I feel lucky because…


I’ve been blessed to have two women in my life…

one would be my mom…the other is my wife


Who always had the ability to put a smile on my face…

Who only need to enter a room…to add beauty to that space.



No comments:

Post a Comment