Saturday, May 7, 2022

EVERY STEP ALONG THE WAY

 We’ve been blessed with three children…now with lives of their own…

and (so far) four grandchildren…who are almost fully grown.


And we’ve been blessed to watch them grow…behind them every step along the way…which brings me to the third of our four grandchildren…

who graduates high school today.


As we celebrate his first adult steps into the world…with a graduation cake

my mind wanders back to all the other celebrations…now floating in his wake.


All those wishes made blowing out his candles…

each year adding one one wish more….

I’ve often wondered, because I never asked, what he was wishing for.


I imagine he was wishing for whatever children wish for….

but with each year as for me…I was wishing he would grow up

to be whomever he wanted to be.


I have always wished since his first candle blown…it’s okay now to confess…that he be a kind and gentle person…that his life be filled with happiness.


That he be healthy…have a family who loves him…

That his life be free of confusion and turmoil…

That he have friends that make him smile…and grandchildren he can spoil.


That he be the best person he could be every moment he’s awake…

These have been my wishes with every candle on every cake.


And that is still my wish for him…as he graduates today….

with a reminder that I will always be behind him…

every step along the way.




No comments:

Post a Comment