Thursday, November 5, 2020

SOME THINGS I KNOW

 I was recently asked what advice I might give to my great-grandchildren

I think some advice can be helpful…some is ‘for the birds’

I’ve always believed a person’s actions speak louder than their words.


In lieu of any advice I might give, then…

here are a few things that I know

I know no one is perfect…I know it’s always better to go slow.


I know a smile can change a person’s day…I know not to ridicule

I know religions can be wonderful…I know religions can be cruel.


I know love and family can make you happy from childhood to adult

but chocolate in the right amounts can achieve the same results.


I know a smile and a kind word can help wipe away a tear.

I know that joy is sometimes waiting on the other side of fear.


I know we should listen more to nature…

I know I love a good bookstore.

I know I love our soldiers…but I hate that there is war.


I know innocent people should never die…from a bullet…from a gun.

I know there is more love in this world when all is said and done.


I know dogs pass away too early and children grow up too fast.

I know we should do everything we can to make each moment last…


I know everyone is beautiful…I know it’s okay to cry.

I know compassion and acceptance are powerful things, 

I know we should all give them a try.


Finally I know Emily Dickinson was right…

when she wrote this beautiful refrain…

‘If I can stop one heart from breaking…I shall not live in vain.’


So take what I know as advice if you want…wherever you may go

and add them to the growing list of the things you already know.

.

And keep in mind my first thought…how advice sometimes is for the birds

and that your actions will always speak much louder…

and more clearly than your words.


No comments:

Post a Comment