Friday, October 26, 2018

WHAT IF THEY WERE US?

A caravan of immigrants is approaching
from their own countries they are fleeing
and I must admit I am perplexed
by behaviors I am seeing.

I see kind, compassionate and religious people
as this caravan draws near
screaming we don’t want you…
that you’re not welcomed here.

I see it happening in other countries as well
anger stretching across the land
where we would rather keep people out
than lend a helping hand…

And I wonder what is causing this…
this callousness for humankind…
What has happened to our hearts…
to our souls…and to our minds?

When did our world of acceptance and compassion
succumb to hatred and tyranny?
When did fear 
and prejudice 
and bigotry
replace humanity?

What if it was our family in that caravan?
escaping cruelty?
traveling far?
What if they were our sisters and brothers…?


or have we forgotten….that they are?

No comments:

Post a Comment