Tuesday, March 16, 2021

WHEN YOUR GRANDDAUGHTER ASKS YOU TO DANCE

 


 I have a wonderful memory that popped up yesterday by happenstance…of a time when my granddaughter said, “Hey PopPop…how’d you like to dance?”


At the time I hesitated but she persisted…“It’s easy…you will see…we pick a song and you follow the moves from the video or if you want…just keep your eyes on me.”


I’ve never been known for my rhythm…but I kind of remembered the song…so I put my inhibitions aside and tried to dance along.


My arms began to flail…I had the rhythm of a stone…

I tried to dance to the music but my feet had a mind of their own.


Eventually I didn’t care if I was nimble or, like her, as light as a feather…what was more important than the dance…was that we were dancing together.


And for a moment, just a moment…in my mind we were the perfect pair…She was a young Ginger Rogers…and I was Fred Astaire.


Time has flown by since that day…four years to be precise

so to all you grandparents out there…let me give you some advice.


If you want to make a memory…I suggest you take a chance

to trip the light fantastic…when your granddaughter asks you to dance.


Because even though I have less rhythm now than the rhythm I had back then…

I know for certain if she had asked me today…

I would danced with her again.





No comments:

Post a Comment