Tuesday, October 8, 2019

A TALE OF TWO DECKS

25 years ago we built a deck in our back yard…
It was a project that still astounds.
I remember picking up 50 pound deck blocks
I remember placing them in the ground.

I remember screwing down each deck board
I remember feeling blessed 
I remember working for hours an hours…without needing a rest.

I remember Deborah burning in our names and the date.
I remember thinking this was fun!
I remember the satisfaction 
of a job completed…a job well done

But that was 1994 and yesterday…with a frown
We decided our deck was too old and weathered…
and it was time to take it down.

I remember building this old deck
I remember completing it in November…
but as I started taking it apart…
there were things I don’t remember.

I don’t remember working at a pace so arduous and slow
I don’t remember everything being this heavy 25 years ago… 

I don’t remember breathing so hard
I don’t remember… did I wheeze?
I don’t remember how difficult it is 
to crawl on my hands and knees.

I don’t remember having as much trouble bending over.
I don’t remember stopping to rest as often.
I don’t remember after only one hour thinking…
Please!…just put me in the coffin…

I don’t remember waking up the next day
with every body part painful to the touch…
Isn’t it funny…how in 25 years

that deck would change so much?

No comments:

Post a Comment