Tuesday, December 4, 2018

WHAT I HAVE GAINED

One look at this photo…I see I’m missing some hair
and if I’m not mistaken my eyelids have slid
although it’s really quite difficult for me to know
because I don’t see as clearly as at one time I did.

My hearing is going, which I don’t understand
and I ask this with as much confusion as vigor…
How am I able to hear less now that I’m older
when my ears have gotten bigger and bigger?

And don’t get me started about my memory
for hardly does there come a day…
When…wait!…there…it happened again
I forgot what I was going to say…

But when I put the photo down and walk through my house
my misery quickly comes to and end
For wherever I look I see reminders and remnants
of a life filled with family and friends…

Reminding me as I get older
Something I long ago ascertained…
Not to concentrate on the things that I’ve lost
but instead…

on the things that I’ve gained.

No comments:

Post a Comment