Tuesday, March 27, 2018

THINGS I STILL REMEMBER

Deborah found the leftovers
(the ones I thought I stored in the fridge)
in a cabinet the other day
and we chuckled at my ‘senior moment’ as we threw them all away.

But it got me thinking…there was a time I remembered everything
a time when my memory was much stronger….
I knew getting old was inevitable…
I just thought it’d take a little longer.

I have forgotten where I put my glasses.
How did these keys get in this drawer?
I have forgotten, as I search for something, 
what the heck I’m searching for…

But just when I begin questioning 
if my memory is dwindling like a fire’s fading embers?
If at my age am I forgetting now
more things than I remember?

It is then I remember riding my bike as a child…
how Grandma’s death made me so sad…
It is then I remember splashing through puddles after a rain,
playing football with my dad.

It is then I remember friends from high school…
flying kites high in a summer breeze
It is then I remember trying to catch the falling leaves from Autumn 
as they cascaded from the trees.

It is then I remember moments with our children and grandchildren… 
yes, when I stop and think on it a while
there are so many moments I remember… 
so many memories that make me smile.

Sure, I might forget a few things every now and then…
and sometimes the storage of leftovers is misbegotten….
but I am blessed, in life, that I remember 

far more things than I’ve forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment