Sunday, July 28, 2013

Silence

SILENCE
Today it is the great Mark Twain whom I am choosing to remember
No it’s not his birthday- he was born the 30th of November.

And no, it’s not the day he died- that was April 21st.
It’s just I like the insights that Mr. Twain dispersed.

He thought that it was better (here’s something we never learned in school)
For people to remain silent and be thought of as a fool.

Because he felt when they opened their mouth that would remove all doubt.
Ah… it does appear that Mr. Twain knew what he was talking about.

With the arrival of social media and 24 hour news
There are more people than ever before opening mouths and sharing views.

Perhaps now is the time we stop and heed Mark Twain’s advice
Or if it’s impossible to stop talking, could we at least be more concise!

I could do without all those news commentators who talk incessantly
I could do without political speak, and Reality TV.

I could go on opening my mouth, being more specific…more precise

But I’m told it’s time that even I, take Mr. Twain’s advice.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment