Sunday, October 13, 2024

A THREE GENERATION WEDDING MEMORIES

 

 I co-officiated a three generation wedding yesterday…

My son Bryan co-officiated with me….

and since it was my grandsons wedding…

in terms of generations that makes three.


The wedding was at our cabin in the mountains…

still cherished by the Cherokee.

The bride was beautiful, the groom was handsome

The weather was as fine as it could be


I’ve been blessed to live a life…that has had less valleys and more peaks…

and to have made the kind of memories…as the Cherokee say:

speak out of my eyes and cascade down my cheeks.


Under a blue sky dappled with the colors of autumn It was a truly beautiful day… 

and I added a host more to an already wonderful array.


I’ll remember getting our cabin ready for the wedding…

Our son Ryan and his wife Amy…helped us to believe…

we could turn our driveway into a wedding chapel 

under the trees…with a carpet of fallen leaves.


I’ll remember one dog in a tuxedo…and another in a flowered lei.

I’ll remember Ali, our daughter and Damien’s Mom’s tears on his wedding day.


I’ll remember the faces of Trista and Damien…as they looked into each other’s eyes…

I’ll remember how Bryan helped to make them laugh…while I innocently made them cry.


I’ll remember all the people who came…how Sofia, Damien’s sister rang the wedding bell…

I’ll remember when it was over…thinking how everything went so well.


As I sit back now to write this poem…

I’m trying hard to remember everything…every detail that was important to me.

replaying them over and over again…so they will remain etched in my memory.


So years from now…when I think about this day…

when it’s this day’s memories I seek….

they will speak happily out of my eyes

as they cascade gently down my cheeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment