’Tis the early bird that catcheth the worm…
is a proverb that has survived…
since William Camden first wrote those words
back in Sixteen hundred and five.
It’s a proverb that lately in the morning I’ve been concentrating on…
After all…I’m considered an early bird because I’m up before the dawn.
But the early birds who greet me in the morning…
who have waited the whole night long
do not greet me, as many others do
with an early morning song…
No, the early birds in this part of the mountain
when to this porch they come…
are not the birds that sing at all…
they are the birds that hum.
Since it’s early and still dark I cannot see them…
and since they do not choose to sing
they make their presence known by the humming of their wings.
They let me know they have arrived…
and by their humming they’ve declared
They’ve come to enjoy the sweet nectar
Deborah has prepared.
It’s a beautiful sound in the early morn
and I don’t care if they don’t know the words to their song
because the more I hear their happy humming
the more I want hum along.
Which makes me want to amend William Camden’s proverb
this is what I think…
From my experience it should also read
’Tis the early bird that catcheth a drink.
And since I am an early bird…
In the morning from what I’ve heard…
’Tis also the early bird in the morning
who catcheth sight of the humming bird.
No comments:
Post a Comment