Friday, May 27, 2022

HOW OLD ARE WE REALLY?

 Deborah and I turn 70 later this year…I remember when I was young and brash and bold…how I use to think anyone who was 70…well, that person had to be old.


Now that I am older…I’ve left my boyhood thinking behind…

I now believe, despite the years…that age…is in the mind.


That’s not to say there aren’t some aches and pains that come with getting older

like how I may wear sweaters more…because I’m always a little colder.


Like how were not as agile or as limber as we once were before

and how it takes us a little longer to get up off the floor.


But in spite of what our bodies are telling us…that our best songs have been sung

our minds keep encouraging us…telling us we’re still young.


This latest road trip we’ve been on…over 3500 miles so far

We’ve done our share of singing to oldies in the car.


We’ve marveled at the sunsets…we’ve waved to an engineer on a train…

We’ve listened to a bird concerto…we’ve chased a rainbow in the rain.


We’ve eaten our share of donuts…we’ve danced out in the snow…

We even built a small snowman…we‘ve sat by a river and watched her flow.


So you see the prospect of turning 70 does not upset us…we will never cry or pout

because so many times throughout the day…we’ve let our child out.


And every time our child comes out…we want to see them more…we have a hunger…

because every time our child shows up…we feel a little younger.


If that is true (and we believe it is) that we actually age backwards when we laugh and play and run…there might be 70 candles on our birthday cakes this year…

but after making a wish…we’ll only blow out 21.



No comments:

Post a Comment