Tuesday, October 6, 2026

GODLENROD

 

I was cleaning our roof the other day…when I ran across something odd….

growing out of some moss on our roof…was a single goldenrod.


I love goldenrods for their bright yellow color…but that’s not all…

I love how they’re nature’s way of announcing  

summer’s almost over and we’re heading for the Fall.


I also love how they’re a symbol of good luck…

and how their medicinal uses have been broad.

but on the roof I remembered the story 

of the very first goldenrod:


An old woman was walking in a dark forest one night…

she was exhausted and confused…

She asked the tress for a branch to help her walk

but every tree refused.


When a small neglected stick on the ground

Said, “I’ll do my best to support you.

If you make me your walking stick

I’ll be happy to escort you.”


When they emerged from out the forest…

the old woman set the little stick next to a tree…

then said, “I am actually a fairy princess….

and I’d like to thank you for helping me…


She smiled then sprinkled that stick with gold dust

as the sun illuminated the early morn…

and because of that fairy’s magic

the first goldenrod was born.


It is a beautiful story…

Do I believe it’s true?

Do I believe a stick can be transformed 

into a flower with a yellow hue?


I do!  


Because standing proudly before me

was absolute and positive proof….

a descendant of the very first goldenrod

growing on our roof.


No comments:

Post a Comment