Thursday, October 8, 2026

DOING WHAT CHILDREN DO

 

From the time I was a child I’ve been blessed to find comfort in life’s little things…

Like running among the falling leaves of autumn…pretending I have wings.


Like sitting on our porch in the mountains…with the moon and stars aglow

Listening to an owl’s closing aria accompanied by a chorus of crickets below.


It likens me back to when I was a child……a simpler time when my biggest worry 

was falling off my bike and scraping my knees

When life was easier…more innocent…and I had fewer responsibilities 

 

But now that I am older…able to sit back and enjoy the blessings a long life brings

I’ve come full circle…and I am, once again, finding comfort in life’s little things.


Like sitting on our porch…being an excited but silent cheerleader

to a diverse array of feathery creatures who frequent our bird feeders.


Like pulling over on our way home from Asheville…just the other day….

to stop and admire what artists in the town of Canton created out of hay.


There on the side of the highway…greeting every passerby

was a cornstalk standing next to a black bear…who was happily waving ‘HI’.


We walked around this corn stalk and bear…in the middle of a beautiful Autumn day…

admiring the talent and the creativity of this simple road art…sculpted out of hay.


If you happened by you’d have see two children…in their 70’s…

on the side of the road… playing in the hay.

reliving a simpler time that…as we grow older…has a tendency to slip away…


It’s funny when you think about it…

when we’re young and the world is fun and innocent and new

as children we often secretly wish to do what grown-ups do.


But when we’re older…and once again the world is fun and innocent and new

you can often find us doing…exactly what children do.


No comments:

Post a Comment