Forgive me if my poems are arriving a little late…
It’s not that i’m having trouble with the rhymes
It just since moving to North Carolina…we have switched to Mountain Time.
It’s not that people in the mountains are any less conscientious…
but when enjoying the mountains, the clouds, the animals…the trees
our pace slows down a little…we have different priorities.
The line at the grocery store moves slowly…and we wonder if the wait will ever end
because the cashier after checking her out…is having a conversation with her friend
Apparently her friend is a beekeeper…who happened to be elated
that this years batch of honey is the best batch her bees have yet created.
Next in line is an older man who from the parts of the conversation I could hear
his tomatoes, because of all they rain we’ve been having, are juicier this year.
As I listened to these conversations….
from the line…I heard no objections…no protests…no dissent.
It seems mountain people understand that stopping to talk to our neighbors…
is a great way for our time to be spent.
Yes, there’s something to be said for casually strolling through our day…
so much to be gained…by living life this way.
By taking the time to stop and chat with the different people we meet
It makes for happier dispositions…it leaves everyone feeling sweet.
It makes us ask ourselves the next time we’re in a hurry…
when time constraints make us fuss….
are we in control of our time…or is time controlling us?
Which means I might take a moment to enjoy the rain…
listen to the birds…smell a flower in the middle of the day
or stop to talk with a friend or a stranger I meet along the way.
And because of this…I’m not sure what day or time…
I might be posting my next rhyme…
That’s just the way it is when living on Mountain Time.
So again I apologize if this or any rhyme finds your eyes a little late…
but if you start to live in Mountain Time…you’ll find…it’s worth the wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment