Tuesday, September 15, 2026

BREAKFAST WITH A MOMMY DADDY

 

 As I was enjoying a breakfast smoothie on the porch the other morning

far from the distractions of TV, radio or cable

a singular daddy long legs joined me at our picnic table.


I am not an expert…not an arachnid authority or swami…

but from what little I know about  daddy long legs…

this daddy was a mommy.


I imagine she’s seen me every morning at this table sitting here

and through her arachnid instincts knew there was nothing she need fear.


She crawled right up to where I sat…and I watched her from my seat

as she felt around the table for something she could eat.


I was impressed with how she moved…with such ease and grace and class 

and I loved the way she inspected the smoothie in my glass


Next she walked across my crossword puzzle

and as I watched her my confidence was shaken…

when she pointed to 61 across and shook her head

as if my answer was mistaken.


And when I checked my answer…to her utter satisfaction and delight…

this long legged arachnid…to my dismay…was right!


So spent breakfast together…at the table…side by side…

I enjoyed my smoothie

while she continued finding whatever morsels our table would provide.


As  the two of us enjoyed our breakfast…

and the sun continued to rise

I returned my attention to my crossword puzzle…

under mommy long legs watchful eyes.


I’m hoping she comes back tomorrow…

to offer her company and share a bite or two…

and I’m interested to see if she’s as good at Wordle

as she is with crosswords too.


No comments:

Post a Comment