Saturday, June 25, 2022

THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD

 I look out on the world and try to find the beauty that is all around us…and most days I find that easy to do.  Today, however, not so much.  Today I lift my voice is sadness.  Today I pray that whatever entity you pray to, you pray that he or she can teach us all love, compassion and honor so that we may heal the world…and each other.

Tomorrow, hopefully, I’ll go back to discovering the beauty…because I need to see that beauty…it is that beauty that gives me hope. It is that beauty that usually guides my voice.



THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD?


When I was young I was brought up to believe America was the greatest county in the world…a country other countries around the world adored…

but now that I am older…I don’t believe that anymore.


Look at our history with the Native Americans, with Slavery, with Japanese Americans etc. etc.…atrocities our country would like to remain hidden….

So much so that in some states…teaching about them is forbidden.


Would a great country do that?  Teach only the history that makes us look good…that makes us glad…while ignoring our barbarity…while excluding all our bad.


Can we call ourselves a great country…this America we’re living in…

when people are still discriminated today…because of the the color of their skin?


Can we call ourselves a great country…can we call ourselves a shining star

when people are still victimized…for who they love and who they are?


When you stop to think about it…can we call this country great

when some people use their religion…to justify their hate?


Where we forget our servicemen and women…where we don’t even make a fuss

or fight to take care of the very people…who fight to take care of us.


When money is more important than the environment…more important than our oceans and our seas…more important than the animals…more important than the trees?


Where we don’t have health car for everyone.  

Where we don’t welcome everyone to our shore.

Where there is still a huge discrepancy between the very rich…and the very poor?


Where unimaginable numbers have been murdered…as each new killer tries to top it…

Where we say how sorry we are at each family’s loss…but do nothing at all to stop it.


Where innocent people are gunned down…where someday it might be you…

Where even the people who say it has nothing to do with guns…know that isn’t true.


And now a decision by our Supreme Court that has left many of us bemused…

the women in our country have lost their right to choose.


They say it’s to protect the unborn children…that all life is sacred…but, please, don’t be fooled..this came a day after they made it easier to carry a gun and and kill our children in their schools.


So when I hear someone say America is the greatest country in the world….

as I see her frail democracy dying….

I find it difficult to agree…or cheer…because, right now, I’m too busy crying.


For not only do I NOT believe this hype…this propaganda…this absurdity…this buzz

but looking back at our history…

I now wonder…if she ever was.


No comments:

Post a Comment