Tuesday, June 14, 2022

MORNING ON THE LAKE

 We’ve had the opportunity this trip to watch the sun consume the dark…

on the Mississippi and Shoshone rivers and now on the Lake of the Ozarks.


One thing I love about the way the sun, each day, repaints the sky…

Is how…no matter what the water is named…

every sunrise is beautiful and no two are the same.


In the early morning as I sit by the lake…at this moment devoid of crowds…

the sun is just beginning to add a dab of color to the clouds.


There is silence on the river this morning…not like there was the day before….

The boats from yesterday are sleeping…the only sound…they waves along the shore.


The sun has yet to make her entrance…she’s still hiding behind the trees….

A hummingbird just hovered by to say hello…then flew off on the breeze.


When I sit back to watch and listen…as the lake before me flows

there is a shimmer to her surface…a sparkle…a gleam…a glow…


I am not an expert…but from the information I’m compiling…

again I can’t be sure…but I believe the lake is smiling.


Two fisherman in their boat…as if not to disturb the flow…

quietly move across the water…their engine set on low.


They whisper to one another as their reels they release….

In deference to their surroundings…not wanting to disturb the peace


They quickly float upriver…their fishing in this spot is done…

leaving me alone upon my perch…to enjoy the lake, the clouds…the sun.


Which I do for as long as I can…glad at this hour to be awake…

to enjoy another new day’s birth…another sunrise on the lake.




No comments:

Post a Comment