Saturday, April 20, 2019

THE BEAUTY OF TEH CARDINAL

He landed in the tree the two of us were sitting under
a lonely cardinal…red
Immediately we began to wonder:
Is that a relative whose dead?

Because we both are aware of the platitude
when you see a cardinal near
you should be filled with gratitude
it means an angel has appeared.

The platitude does not say with any certainty
(Which in the end I think is a plus)
as to which relative that might be
It leaves that decision up to us.

I closed my eyes…without a care
and in that moment I felt glad
glad there was a cardinal there
to make me think about my dad

I looked over at my wife
happiness on her face shown
as the person with whom I share my life
was lost in a memory of her own.

We sat in silence as he flew away
not a word between us….said
certain he had other visits to make that day..
our lonely cardinal…red.

For is that not the beauty of this bird?
Is that not his destiny?
To appear silently…without a word

and awaken a memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment