Wednesday, July 31, 2013

What's in a name?

WHAT’S IN A NAME
In Romeo and Juliet Shakespeare asks “What’s in a name?”.
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet he doth explain.

Like most people I’ve had many names with which I’ve been adorned.
James is the name my parents called me on the day that I was born.

But as I grew James seemed to formal and one day on a whim
I changed it and told everyone, “from now on, call me Jim.”

Then I was married and lo and behold a father I became
In an instant Jim was displaced and Daddy was my name.

Then my children grew up and though it sometimes makes me sad
My name grew up along with them and Daddy turned to Dad.

Next my daughter too got married and a mother she became
Although Jim and Dad were still with me, now Pop Pop was my name.

And if I’m lucky someday…at some future time and date
My children’s children will have children and perhaps they’ll call me great.

Sure as a name James is biblical and has a certain charm and grace
But Jim and Dad and Pop Pop will always bring a smile to my face.
This makes me wonder is it our name that really matter from the moment of our birth
Or how we live the lives we’re given on our time upon this Earth.

For when I die, it’s not the name but the person I hope you embrace
So the mere mention of my name will bring a smile to your face.

Perhaps that should be our legacy…that should be our final aim

So as as you head out in the world today ask yourself- what’s in my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment