Wednesday, July 27, 2022

THE BEST LAID PLANS...

 THE BEST LAID PLANS…


When I was young…growing up…still a boy…not yet a man

when thinking about my destiny…I had some awesome plans.


I knew early in my life what was in store for me…

I knew what I was going to do…I knew who I wanted to be.


I wanted to be a post office clerk…like my dad…although he didn’t make a lot of money and sometimes times were rough…He loved his job and he’d always smile and say…

I think we have enough. 


But I soon turned why hopes to baseball…where I was going to be a star…

until I realized I had trouble catching…and I couldn’t hit a baseball very far.


Next I wanted to be a football star…people would have my name embroidered on their shirt…until I realized I was much too small…and how getting tackled hurt!


So I thought…I’d like to be an astronaut…where I’d soar up among the stars…

until I realized my stomach ached…just riding in the car.


Next I turned my attention to politics I wanted to be President…in charge of all the masses…until I realized there are some days…I can’t even find my glasses.


So I chose instead to be a teacher, a husband and a father…where I didn’t make a lot of money and where sometimes times were rough…but I loved my job and I was always able to smile and say…I think we have enough.


Who knew when I was growing up…with all the different plans I had…I would end up living a life that was closer to my dad’s. 


But those choices led to being a grandfather…perhaps the easiest job of all…

where I didn’t have to to be coordinated…or rich…or intelligent…or tall.


In fact…from the minute I became a husband, a father, a grandfather…the moment our lives intertwined…all I had to be in their eyes…was loving, compassionate and kind…


So there you have it…in a nutshell…this is who I came to be…

and I’ve often wondered…did I choose this life…or has this life chosen me?


Either way…I’m happy…

for my life has indeed been quite amazing 

and wonderfully grand…

I guess when I stop to think about it…

it has gone…exactly as I planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment