Monday, December 13, 2021

BLINK

 

“You need to enjoy every moment of your life!” My dad would say and when I asked him why...He’d answer, “Because when you stop and think about it…it’ll all be over in the blink of an eye.”.”


That was my dad…his philosophical renderings were always a little vague and indistinct…which made his advice easy to ignore when I was young…until the day I understood the blink.


BLINK!  I was a baby…learning how to smile.

BLINK!  I was a nervous husband-to-be walking down the aisle.


BLINK!  A divorce.

BLINK!  A remarriage.

BLINK!  Another child…another son.

BLINK!  We had to find a way blend two families…into one


BLINK!  A divorce.

BLINK!  A remarriage.

BLINK!  Another child…another son.

BLINK!  We had to find a way blend two families…into one


BLINK!  Our children are all grown…we no longer see their faces every day.

BLINK!  The house is a little emptier…since they moved away.


BLINK!  Four grandchildren our family has amassed.

BLINK!  We find ourselves wondering how they all grew up so fast.


How ironic is it that around the time I understood my dad’s advice and was ready to enjoy every moment…from that moment on…

I never got the chance to tell him because BLINK! and dad was gone.


If my dad was alive today I know what I’d tell him…at least the is what I think….

I’d say thank you, Dad, for teaching me the meaning of the blink.








No comments:

Post a Comment