Tuesday, July 6, 2021

BEE THE CHANGE

 


For over 20 years since my first grandchild was born this same scenario would play…I would open up a new ’t’ shirt…every Father’s Day.


The first shirt was unexpected…but what a wonderful sight to see…

on my shirt…there was my grandson…looking back at me.


The second shirt…in a similar box…the kind of box I’d come to adore.

on the shirt….still my grandson…but one year older than before.


The third shirt…now I was beginning to expect it…still what a wonderful sight to see…

on the shirt…not one…but two grandsons looking back at me.


You get the idea…each Father’s day…I’d open my present…then immediately I’d beam

as in the box…a different shirt…but with a similar theme.


These shirts became more than just presents…they quickly became known 

as a history…in clothing…of how my grandchildren have grown.


Over the years two more grandchildren were added…totaling three diamonds and one pearl…in case you’re keeping track…that’s three boys and 1 girl.


I wear the shirt for one day and one day only…and only on Father’s Day

then clean it, gently fold it, and gingerly pack it away.


In a drawer next to my bed…where it will forever stay

sitting atop all the other shirts I received on Father’s day.


This year the tradition changed…it was a different Father’s Day

My four grandchildren have grown…one has moved away….


Meaning once I unwrapped my present…I was a little shocked…

to find a different shirt entirely…when I opened up the box.


Knowing I love bees…and keeping with the original theme of clothes

a new tradition began…as this Hip Bee shirt she chose.


But I thought it quite appropriate…for not only keeping the tradition alive…

but as a reminder that, no matter how far away my grandchildren roam,

they’re always welcome in the hive.


And so in a drawer next to my bed…my new bee shirt will forever stay

waiting with all the other shirts…to see who’ll join them…

on the ensuing Father’s day.



No comments:

Post a Comment