Friday, March 20, 2020

MAKE A WISH

When I look back on my life I think candy, ice cream and toys
were the top three wishes I made when I was but a boy.

When I got a little oder other wishes caught my eye
I wished for friends
I wished for good grades
I wished Grandma didn’t have to die.

Still a little older yet I wished for a car
a job
a wife
I wished for a host of friends and family with whom to share my life.

Now that I am older and most of my wishes have come true
I find the wishes I make are less about me and more about you…
and you…
and you

I wish that every person…everywhere…
felt they had a place where they belong
I wish that every person…everywhere…
could, somehow, get along.

I wish that hunger, hatred, bigotry and wars would today…cease
I wish we all lived in a world that knew 
good health 
and happiness 
and peace.

If these wishes came true…
if everyday the whole world was filled with compassion, 
wonder…
and joy…
Then I could get back to wishing
for candy
ice cream

and toys.


No comments:

Post a Comment