Thursday, August 8, 2013

Road Trip

When the school year is over Deborah and I are filled with such elation
As we say goodbye to our students and head off on our summer vacation.

We’ve taken the same roads to the mountains every summer year in-year out.
So this year we decided to buck tradition and take a different route.

I planned our trip without freeways…on the back roads we decided to ride
So off I drove with my GPS and Deborah by my side.

We drove up on the back roads and on back roads we returned
And now, if I may, let me express to you some of lessons that we learned.

If you’re at all religious in Georgia you don’t have far to search
Because it seems on every corner there is a Baptist church.

And after church if you’re hungry you can take your family or spouse
Out to lunch--because on every other corner there is a Waffle House.

On the back roads everywhere you look there is beauty to be found
But you may also discover people you’re afraid to be around.

People who may not quite believe what you believe is true
And who according to their bumper stickers will have no trouble shooting you.

People who, and on this I can’t be certain, but I believe may get their thrill
By marrying their sisters and eating fresh road kill.

Yes the back roads can be wonderful- with all the beauty that’s awaiting
But they can also be a little scary and somewhat intimidating

So the next time Deborah and I head to the mountains in order to survive

We decided to leave the back roads behind and take I-75.

No comments:

Post a Comment